Once again I was staring at my pack of whole wheat pita bread (which I always have on-hand) and trying to come up with a new way to serve them up for lunch.
As I looked in the fridge ideas started swirling around and finally started to come together.
Here’s what I did that resulted in a very tasty steak and feta pizza.
Whole Wheat Steak & Feta Pita Pizza
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- 1 thinly sliced and chopped steak (used top round for stir fry kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place pita bread onto baking sheet and place in oven for 3-4 minutes, just to get a slight crisp.
- Season steak with garlic salt and pepper and saute in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil until ALMOST done (will finish cooking in the oven). Remove from skillet and sprinkle onto pita rounds.
- Saute onions in a bit of olive oil in the same skillet the steak was cooked in and allow to become soft and sweet. Remove and sprinkle over steak on pita bread.
- Top pita with crumbled feta, fresh ground pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in oven for 5-7 minutes, just until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Slice into 4 and serve immediately.
TIP: Be sure to slice the steak nice and small and thin, almost a shred. This allows each bite to be as delicious as the first. Don’t want to take the whole steak off with the first bite! That would surely be a catastrophe 🙂
PS. I love this whole pita pizza concept, the combinations are endless!
Try this Mediterranean Whole Wheat Pita Pizza!
For more recipes CLICK HERE!